Saturday, October 8, 2011

Chicken Fajita Salad

Ahhh, Saturday! I felt like it was a productive day today. I was able to sleep in a bit and enjoyed a nice breakfast. I made gluten free, dairy free, egg free blueberry pancakes. Not the almond ones from a previous post and I also had bacon. I prepared my weekly shopping list while watching Anne Burrell on her Food Network show, Secrets of a Restaurant Chef. I also decided to clean out my closet a little and was able to get $40 from a consignment shop. Not bad for clothes I wasn't wearing anyway! Oh and I went for a nice bike ride after breakfast. Perfect weather today!
Dinner tonight was a Chicken Fajita Salad. Very simple, yet tasty ingredients.

1/2 tablespoon paprika
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 cup salsa (I used Trader Joe’s mild)
1/4 cup chicken broth
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

pinch red pepper flakes
1/2 cup olive oil (divided)
2 limes, juiced (divided)
12 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
2 heads romaine lettuce, chopped into bite sized pieces
1 each red, yellow, & orange pepper, cut into strips


 
Directions


In a large bowl, stir together salsa, chicken broth, chili powder, salt, paprika, garlic, red pepper flakes, 1/4 cup olive oil, and juice from 1 lime. Reserve 1/4 cup of this mixture. Add the chicken thighs to the bowl and stir around to coat. Marinate in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour (and up to 24 hours).
Start your grill or you can use an indoor grill pan. Once ready, cook on each side about 4-5 minutes per side.
 Saute peppers for 5 minutes, until softened but still slightly crisp.
Whisk the reserved 1/4 cup of marinade with 1/4 cup olive oil and juice from 1 lime in a small bowl. In a large serving bowl, layer romaine lettuce, sauteed vegetables, and sliced chicken. Top with dressing and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment