Sunday, September 4, 2011

Sunday Breakfast

There's something about a homemade breakfast on the weekends, especially Sunday. This is something I have always enjoyed. Waking up, no where to rush off to and coffee! I would much rather prepare a healthy, homemade breakfast vs. eating out since I can't eat typical "breakfast" food in restaurants. Today, I opted for almond-meal blueberry pancakes. This recipe is adapted from my Everyday Paleo cookbook (buy it here for 2% cash back).
Heat up your cast iron griddle while you prepare the following:
2 c. almond meal
1/2 c. finely shredded unsweetened coconut
3 tbsp. flax seed mixed into 3 tbsp. water (mix this up prior to adding to your batter)
1 c. coconut milk or other non-dairy milk of your choice (rice or almond would be good)
1 apple grated
1 c. frozen organic blueberries or chocolate chips for the kids
3 tbsp. cinnamon
Mix all ingredients together. I used a 1/4 c measuring cup and on to my hot griddle (use coconut oil or evoo cooking spray for your griddle prior)
Cook for 4-5 minutes per side over medium heat. They tend to be pretty moist due to the coconut and apple so give them time to brown and crisp.
Enjoy with your cup of coffee with coconut milk as I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment